Food is Medicine
Lemon Chicken Elation
From: Eat Right, Feel Right, 2017 Leslie Korn.
This meal is a simple mood boosting meal that cooks itself when you use a slow cooker. The aroma of lemon lifts depressed mood, the chicken stabilizes blood glucose and sustains energy and is also antibacterial and antiviral. Garlic is rich in sulfur which supports liver detoxification and the minerals from the slow cooked vegetables are full of potassium which enhances relaxation and supports adrenal function and thereby allows you to adapt to stress.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-8 Hours
Yields 4-6 meals
- 1 whole organic/free range chicken (including neck and feet)
- 4 c. water
- 4 stalks sliced celery
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 small red potatoes or 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 lemons
Note: You can do a variation on this same soup by replacing the lemons with .-. cup of dry
white wine instead of the lemon. The alcohol cooks off and leaves a nourishing rich broth.
1. Wash chicken and place whole or quartered in the slow cooker along with vegetables and
2. Cook for 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
3. Add the salt and then juice from 2 lemons, and grate 1 teaspoon of lemon zest on top before
Cooking Tip: Never add salt or lemon until after a soup has finished cooking