Try this soothing recipe. These beans are tasty and especially nutritious with the addition of organic blackstrap molasses and anti-inflammatory spices. Blackstrap molasses is rich in B-6, magnesium, calcium, and potassium, all of which combine to produce a very calming meal. B-6 is a key vitamin to lift mood. This recipe is easy to make with a slow cooker; start it in the morning, and by dinnertime a rich, healthy meal will be waiting.
- 2 cups dried organic pinto beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs. Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 cup organic blackstrap molasses
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbs. yellow mustard
- 1 tbs. smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tbs. grated turmeric root
- 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs. organic apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, rinse and soak the beans overnight. In the morning, rinse the beans and place in the slow cooker.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil and add to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (save the salt and pepper until the beans are finished cooking).
- Cover with the water and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with coleslaw or a chopped green salad and Vibrant Vinaigrette.
This recipe was taken from my book Eat Right, Feel Right: 50 Recipes and Tips to Improve Mood Sleep Attention and Focus
Other Good Mood Recipes
- A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Hypothyroidism Treatment - November 17, 2023
- Flexing Your Self-Care Muscle (and Your Client’s Too!) For Success - September 4, 2023
- How to Eliminate Headaches, Congestion, and Detoxify with Mustard Seeds - August 7, 2023
Are You Ready to Advance Your Career?
If you want to advance your career in integrative medicine, explore my courses and certifications.